Friday, April 16, 2010

To the Catholic Priests I have known


…where there is injury, may my words be as balm.

They are men. And like all men, they can be infuriatingly logical, stolid and stubborn. I can remember the times without number that I have wailed, ‘But, Father…!’ And yet, they have been like signposts in my life, my inspiration and my strength.

Why the testimony? Because we are at a moment in time when the Catholic Church is besieged from within and without very publicly. Amid the furore in the Press, a quiet voice (via email) reminded me that for every one that stands accused, there are ten who are soldiering on to spread God’s word and work, hopefully, faithfully and lovingly.

This made me think about the Priests in my life – influences direct and indirect. The educators, formators, (tor)mentors and bulwarks. From the Priest who baptized me (he was Irish – therefore my gift of the gab?), to the burly Capuchin who confessed me that very first time in preparation for my First Holy Communion and Confirmation at the tender age of eight. Bear hugs, a well cushioned knee , sweets and a kitten magically produced on home visits made me feel cherished and secure. I loved that man. I also remember very clearly, a Holy Week when he was the only priest available in a remote upcountry parish: he had injured his back in a scooter accident (he used to carry out home visits on his cherished Lamby) despite which he had Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday to get through. In 1959 the rituals were formidable, yet he did his duty despite his pain-wracked body. Fifty years on, the experience is etched in memory.

Then on to school and catechism classes with Sunday School thrown in at weekends. We enjoyed the benefit of instructors both serious and humorous, each in their own way forming us for the future. I am reminded of a quote from Queen Rania of Jordan – “… a sense of values is essential because it is the shield which protects you from everything the world throws at you.” The priests who instructed us indeed provided us with the ‘armour of God’.

At this point, I realise that a great deal more of time and space is needed to do justice to the topic. So, look forward to tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment