Sunday, April 18, 2010

In continuation…


Then there was the priest who coaxed me to press trembling fingers over the keyboard in order to rally a congregation to song. He even allowed me access – very limited talent notwithstanding – to the Cathedral’s precious pipe organ. If you have felt the groundswell of music under vaulted beams, you will understand the experience. Sounds of Panis Angelicus and Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring still recall to mind amateurish attempts at raising my ‘voice’ to the Lord. Joy overflowed.
Another priest introduced me to the writing, editing and proofreading that were to become a lifetime’s avocation. I graduated from Parish Bulletin and Summer School Newsletter to House Journal to technical journalism and found my life’s partner. Yet another published my teenage prattling under the pseudonym ‘Wag’, no questions asked; encouragement that positively counterbalanced parental discouragement, “Children should be seen and not heard!” Wag’s World is one result of that encouragement.
And there was the priest who leant his shoulder to youthful angst and introduced me to the wonderful works of Chesterton and Gallico, firm favourites that I return to in remembered friendship and delight.
How can I forget the priests who winkled me out of comfortable retirement to follow that bend in the road, to explore uncharted territory? To understand that talent must be exploited fully and not necessarily for personal gain? And to learn that ‘wherever women and men are open to being pulled out of themselves and their self-centred lives, there the words of St. Francis Xavier will continue to inspire and challenge.’ Challenged I was, and wholly enriched!
Priests have counseled, confessed, blessed and cherished.
Yes, every milestone in my life has been marked by encounters with priests. Why then, are they nameless? Because the list is so long and to name one and not the other would be poor recognition indeed. Of course, there were also the cantankerous, the obdurate, the irritating – no man is perfect! But each priest in his own way invests himself to become the connect between God and (wo)man. And wavering faith needs such a connect.
So, to those priests in my life who have come, gone, remained, returned to the Lord, this is my very inadequate but wholly sincere ‘Thank You!’

No comments:

Post a Comment