Wednesday, February 18, 2015

This is what’s on my mind…

All the advice for Lent that now pops up on my screen, from the various social media, led me to indulge in some serious introspection. Lent should be a time to re-learn how to be Christian. And how does one do that? Simple. Follow Jesus. Two thousand years of history and human interference (strong word, but I mean it!) have added layers that sometimes obscure the real person. But we can find him in the Gospel.

What is there about Jesus that we can emulate? For me there are three things: Jesus interacted with people, He led a simple lifestyle and He loved unconditionally.

Jesus reached out to everyone he came in touch with. He spoke to them, listened and answered their questions. Today, we hardly find time to interact with our own family in our own homes. We need to reconnect.

Jesus was unencumbered by material possessions. I am, too, afflicted by the ‘I want’ syndrome! Each time I clean up house, I remind myself that less is better. Then, when I go out I see something I like, money in the pocket is spent on one more acquisition. It’s time to let go of things that tie me down. Yes, possessions do that! (I’ll make books and my crochet stuff an exception to that good intention!!).

The last is a toughie. Love unconditionally? But there are so many ‘buts’ in that one. I’ll try all the same. If I begin at the beginning, with the first one, perhaps following Jesus, step by step, will be easy as one-two-three after all.

Have a blessed Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment