Thursday, February 5, 2015

I AM CATHOLIC. I AM INDIAN


I was born in India. I was raised here by a father who served in the Indian Army. A man who honoured his country through the faultless observation of the motto: ‘Service before self. Death before dishonour.’ I was raised to this standard too. I continue to live here. I hold an Indian passport.

Does this make me Indian?

I am as accustomed to greeting with a Namaste as I am with a handshake. I am at home in a sari. In fact, I have earned compliments abroad for its grace and beauty. We enjoy upma and masala chai for breakfast and chicken korma, raita, rotis are lined up for lunch. I stand to attention and sing my National Anthem with enthusiastic devotion. I pay my taxes. I obey the law.

Does this make me Indian?

NO! Not if what my Catholic Faith teaches me is true. I am only Indian – a true citizen of my motherland – when I serve my country. For Christ taught us to be servants and not masters. And we must continue to be servants till all know and understand that they are equal in God’s sight. This is our calling. This is what we believe. This is who we are.

This is why Catholics build schools: we educate all, irrespective of economic status, social background, gender and religious belief so that our children – the children of India – can step out on an equal platform, formed as ethical citizens to face the future with the necessary skills and knowledge. We turn out thinking citizens who will make India proud.

This is why Catholics build hospitals: to offer medical help to the needy, the economically distressed, the ones who are discriminated against.

This is why Catholics start missions and homes: to reach out to those who live beyond the margins and fringes, the forgotten, the neglected, the ignored, the abandoned – migrant labour, untouchables, lepers, street children, the dying.

This is why the Catholic heart beats for the poor: we are taught that even when we have little – too little for ourselves – we must still share. For there are those who have even less.

This is why Catholics practice their faith in peace: our churches are quiet oases in a troubled world which allow us to come together to praise and thank God.

And this is why Catholics may be perceived as a threat: we are opposed to violence, fanaticism, closed minds, inequality, muzzling of free speech, gender discrimination – everything that denies the rights of humanity.

Yes! I am Catholic and proud of it. I am also Indian.

When did I become an ‘outsider’ in my own country?


Wendy Chaves

No comments:

Post a Comment