Sunday, March 22, 2015

Melbourne Diary VI

Day 6: Friday, March 20, 2015

Today was a looooong drive. We went up to a place called Mount Eliza. It’s a beautiful little mountain top village with the loveliest houses – no high-rises, thank goodness.  On the way, checked out the landscape – very green, local flora but no fauna- a glimpse of the sea and the rising road. There were patches of wilderness in-between the development and everything blended in so well. The village had a spattering of little ‘family’ shops and, as usual, I went gaga over the two craft shops.  One had a real live ‘Mother Hubbard’ complete with crochet shawl draped over her capacious shoulders – every nook and cranny had something to discover: hooks and needles, yarn and ribbon, beads and buttons and bows. Picked up some yarn, paid my tab and received my parcel. I love the way everyone signs off with, ‘There you go, love!’

Lunched with friends at a little French bistro called Café Gourmand – I had an omelet with goat’s cheese and caramelized onions and tomatoes topped off with a custard tart. Those who had onion soup received it in an enormous soup bowl and a serving of crusty bread.  I have never seen such a large serving of soup – it was a meal and more.  Warm camaraderie and a lovely feeling of being included in the conversation – the ladies all had Indian antecedents, one from Assam, one from Bengal and of course my cousin, Anglo Indians all. They were rather amazed that I was happy to be heading home after my visit!


The journey home was ‘pretty vistas’ too.  A drive by view of Melbourne!

No comments:

Post a Comment