Monday, April 14, 2014

DISCOMBOBULATED!



Most of the time, my work requires me to abbreviate rather than edit. The words have to fit into a fixed area, for a particular space at a specified location!  And they are usually the words of two young clerics. 
 
One writes exuberantly, flamboyantly, extravagantly – he pours his heart out and the words flow in a torrent over the page.  I have to restrain them, fit them into an impossible boundary and yet retain the vigour, the essence and the message.  Challenged and frustrated, I arrange and rearrange.  I find substitute words that people will relate to and I chop, chop, chop.  

The other’s writing is more restrained, even dignified.  It is lovingly researched, explained and draws the reader in to a personal encounter through posit or gentle questioning. There is information here and also insight and, perhaps, an angle that is new.  Again, I have to distill and bottle.  The minimum number of words – give or take a few – hangs over me like the executioner I must become. And I go chop, chop, chop.

My reputation is now such that, if anyone wants something curtailed, they turn to me. 

My new nickname – by default - is ‘Bobbit’ and I am truly discombobulated!

No comments:

Post a Comment