Thursday, June 21, 2018

DEAD RIGHT


Our sermon today was based on the reading from Sirach – a eulogy to Elijah and Elisha, stalwarts of their time and comparable to none.  Their conduct was blameless and their exploits legendary.  And they did what they did for God alone. Who could hope to match them? 

The priest reminded us of the eulogies we hear at funerals – all good and sometimes even better than the person we remember.  He asked us if we would be able to live up to our eulogies and then set us an exercise.  He told us to write our own – everything we would want said about us – and then check and see if we were living up to our better selves!!

So, how do I want to be remembered? First as having a sense of humour – definitely that!  To be able to laugh (with a little bit of the ribald thrown in) and make others laugh with you is to me priceless.  Second, as being punctual because punctuality is a mark of respect and time is precious. An inbuilt military upbringing has taken care of that.  Third, a caring heart – that’s a toughie.  Because it means sharing yourself even when you don’t want to share.  Genuine caring is never selective. And fourth – making a difference for the better.  What other reason do we have for being here? That’s a tough ask too.

If I were to be honest – as eulogies are sometimes not – I would need to put a curb on a critical tongue, impatience and ‘justified’ anger.  I grew up being measured against the better achievers and have inherited the attitude.  Some legacies are best surrendered.

I love being my own person, so I won’t change that – who cares what other people will say! If I choose to serenade on a full moon night, I will. I once joined in a midnight barking contest with the street dogs – it puzzled them no end (I was dead sober)!! Oh yes – eccentricity is one more thing that I would love to be remembered for.

Now that that’s off my chest, I can rest in peace.  By the way, I love coloured flowers. Ditch the white.


No comments:

Post a Comment