Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dear Diary V….

 …or T G I F: a phrase that is in every working person’s lexicon - those that do not work on Saturdays and Sundays, at least.

Once when a harried friend shot the acronym at me, I cheekily replied that it didn’t apply – every day was a holiday since I had taken premature retirement.  I did not have to wait to exhale or anticipate eagerly the ‘whew’ moment when I could shed bags, clothes and other odds and ends, knock off those pinching shoes and fling myself into a comfortable chair, and stay up all night watching what was on offer on the Movie Channel.  I had leisure in good measure and I used it wisely, or so I thought.  

The problem with retirement is that everyone assumes that you are ‘free’ and the requests for your time flow in thick and furious, and when you say ‘yes’ to one, you end up saying ‘yes’ to another, and before you know it, you are busier than before.  Some engagements are fulfilling – you enjoy them, you learn from them and you are left happy for the experience. Others leave you wondering whether you have suffered permanent brain damage.  I have known both and I am still sane and sober – I have survived. 

It’s funny but the ‘not so happy’ experiences are experiences too: they add to that vast repertoire of knowledge that the brain will store away and hopefully dredge up when needed.  I know that my bad experiences have taught me to appreciate the good ones, to know what to avoid, and how to deal with people and situations. For instance, a stubborn and willfully disobedient child may not require punishment but understanding.  When dealing with a classroom of 60-strong, very lively eight year olds, patience is usually thin or quite worn out and the first reaction is to ensure discipline that the whole class will not forget.  But later reflection brings on the questions.  Never having taught in school, I am troubled by the one child that will not conform.  Could I have dealt with things differently? How?  Putting my head together with other teachers and parents and even children, provides perspectives that may help me in future.  I am on a learning curve.

And then there are the happy children, the ones that will smile and laugh and say ‘thank you teacher for the new song’ or they will come up to you and touch your feet or shake your hand and wave out to you on their way back to class.  And your heart is warmed by their attitude even if the volume of their collective voices makes you wish for earplugs!

And then, of course, my weekends are once again appreciated as has not been done for a very long time.  Now leisure is a treasure and I thank God for Fridays from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment