Saturday, June 2, 2012

Water into Wine

When a Jesuit friend asked me to teach writing skills to his students, I was tickled all the shades of the rainbow.  I pointed out that while I loved to write, I had neither qualifications, training nor the necessary experience to teach.  His response? Just do it! (Yes, he beat Nike to that slogan though not everyone knows it)

Fortunately, my first student had a decent grounding in the basics and her writing skills did need some direction which was within my scope to offer.  We hit it off beautifully and went from strength to strength.  As a test case, this one was definitely A-OK.  As I taught, so did I learn.  As I answered, I found new questions of my own.  And as the students increased in number, so did my interest in the form and medium – the Internet. Five years on, I was fairly seasoned!

Today’s papers brought the news that 55 year olds, with no apparent handicap other than that they had retired from gainful employment, were joining retirement day-care centres.  I, too, had hoped that retirement would bring a comfortable chair, a lazy day, a good book, background music and perhaps a little chit-chat with like minded friends.  Not so.  At 61, I am still struggling to fit 28 hours into the 24.  

Now, a nun who is Principal of her school has decided that I should teach her children to sing.  I can manage Happy Birthday and play the scale of C-major on the keyboard with enviable accuracy but teach music?  I don’t think so.  Sister thinks otherwise.  Just do it (Nike again!).  In the meantime, I have found that with practice my repertoire of key signatures has grown – I now no longer blanch at 4 sharps or flats – and  I can accompany the choir and cantor at Mass without any ‘ouch’ moments.  Except when they hit a wrong note despite my hitting the right key.

I have made the discovery that a very ordinary talent can be coaxed to the next level especially when it is being prodded vigorously in the rear!

I have also made the discovery that retirement has its own interpretations.  Not everyone refers to the same dictionary.

And it appears that the Lord has never stopped changing water into wine.  Wine improves with age.  At 61, I give myself the compliment – con brio!

No comments:

Post a Comment