Friday, May 27, 2011

An Angel before Breakfast

Christmas is a time that resonates with angel presence and angel song. And ‘angel crochet’ too. Many moons ago, in preparation for the season, I had decided upon angels as my motif and was so delighted at the outcome that I broke out in print (I write better than I sing!). Once again, angels are the reason that I write.

Much has happened. Seasons have come and gone, and my lovely husband who so delighted in my crochet is no longer with me. Bereft of his presence and his enthusiasm for all things Christmas, I saw no reason to take up hook and needle. Nothing inspired. Nothing jogged mind or hand.

Till now.

A niece, struggling with a pattern, called for help. I read the instructions, thinking that a hint here or there might help to set her on track. But the directions intrigued me and, before I realised it, I had pulled out hook and thread and the angel formed beneath my hands – tiny, adorable, precious.

One angel completed. Then, almost without volition, a second joined the first and a third was well on its way, as my fingers moved automatically in remembered rhythm to form the stitches. I could see my husband’s eyes lighting up and feel his joy on being presented with these harbingers of Christmas, already present in summertime! I always needed to start this early to get my quota ready by December.

Once again, I sit in the early morning hours, cup of tea at elbow and hook and thread in hand. Each day, I will crochet an angel before breakfast while memories play back in my mind: memories at the same time happy and sad. And, while we cannot bring back the gladness of the past, we can take forward and share the remembered joy.

I am indeed indebted to angels – heavenly, human and crochet!

No comments:

Post a Comment