Thursday, January 20, 2011

Delicate Yellow

I scattered some mustard seed and look at what I’ve got!



Some of my plants had outgrown their homes and new pots were called for. I picked up three instead of the needed two. The spare pot took care of the leftover mud and manure and sat on the grille – a daily reminder that I needed to visit the local nursery.

Prompted by the many biblical references that kept cropping up, I thought, ‘Why not scatter some mustard seed and see what happens?’ Every Indian kitchen possesses mustard seeds which go into a number of dishes and so I fetched a handful and scattered it over the surface of the wet mud. Daily watering and much patience saw a few tentative shoots poking through. They looked so fragile that I did not expect them to survive. But they grew – delicately and long – sending out green leaves every now and then. And then, yesterday morning, I spotted the buds. Today, the tiny bright yellow blooms greeted the sun and me.

So delicate, so delightful, so rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment