Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Simple List of Errands

A bright window, in an otherwise rainy week, beckoned and since my ‘to do’ list was fairly long, I stepped out with rather misplaced optimism.

The first stop was to pay the electricity bill. The queues were serpentine at every window, so I joined the nearest. Suddenly, a lady with bright orange hair entered and went right to the head of the neighbouring queue. The outburst was immediate, and very, very vocal. Unfazed, the woman announced that senior citizens had to be given preference and she stuck to her guns. Though I carry a personal cloud of grey, I am some months off that magical, open sesame – ‘senior citizen’. Still, if needed, I would wade in and add my voice. But she needed no help. Bill paid, she marched out head held high. A young housewife sarcastically remarked that from now henceforth she would stay comfortably ensconced at home and send her mother in law to pay the bill instead. And I thought: how uncaring the generation of today is of the senior citizen of tomorrow – themselves. Were we so crass? I hope not.

Queues in India mean pushing, shoving, jostling and the air turning blue with epithet and loud comment. Queues here are rude and unwieldy. Some time ago, I read that Asian immigrants to Britain would have to undergo ‘training’ in queue etiquette and I am not surprised. The Indian queue is definitely not a welcome import.

Bill paid, I left the building to find a howling downpour awaiting me. Brolly unfurled, I stepped out to be greeted by fresh puddles and pools. Passing cars zoomed through exuberantly, splashing muddy water on pedestrian, wary and unwary alike. I mentally notched up a laundry bill as my skirt acquired a new and unwanted pattern.

A standing taxi and an alighting passenger saw me succumb, even for the short distance I had to travel. The taxi driver was chirpy. What’s the time? Three on the dot, why? I have to pick up a passenger in the neighbourhood and do not want to travel too far. Don’t worry; I just need to go a little further down the road. Destination reached, I pay the minimum fare and am greeted with a toothy grin and a thank you. A different kind of sunshine but a welcome one. Over-charging, cantankerous taxi-drivers are the norm.

I enter my favourite herbal store and am greeted by the salesgirls with a smile. I am a regular and they know me. The shelves are turned around but the salesgirl takes me through to my usual purchases and I am quickly done. Bill paid, I step out with a spring in my step. The day is looking up. With the pavement all to myself, I twirl my umbrella all the way to the cake shop. My husband and I love cheesecake and don’t need to watch our calories. Lucky or what?

Still coming down but, thanks to plastic, my purchases remain dry. I walk along the causeway, once possessed of open and airy pavements, now encroached upon by hawkers. Pedestrian traffic is two way in a single lane and ‘roadblocks’ are inevitable. I attempt to edge past a burly matron, two plump lads in tow, who is bargaining with a bangle seller. I try ‘excuse me’ and the locally correct ‘side please’. No go. I suck in the stomach and sidle past. Whew! I rush through an open stretch before I am beaten to it by the oncoming gang of college students – the causeway is a college-goers dream, with its clothes and bric-a-brac . My way further is again blocked, this time by a group in burkhas. They may have been draped in unrelieved black crepe, but hands and feet were beautifully manicured with nails sporting petal pink or fuchsia. Four inch wedge heels made sure that their feet remained above the water line.

Every now and then, a flute seller surfaced, playing a repetitive and enticing tune. But no tourists were out today. No one to con into unwary purchase. Somehow the flute one hears and the flute one purchases never resonate with the same sweetness.

One more stop: Vinod our neighbourhood provider of photocopies, prints, faxes and other sundry services. My prints were ready. I now have two new crochet patterns to experiment with.

I head for home, a hot bath and a hot cup of tea. A simple list of errands taken care of – mission accomplished and how!

No comments:

Post a Comment