Monday, May 3, 2010

Small Miracles

I once received a birthday card which wished me a day of small miracles: the ‘perfect’ cup of coffee to start the day, always finding my keys where I looked for them, and similar happy thoughts! Anyone who has known the frustration of mislaying their keys would know what I mean.

Today has been such a day; one of unexpected happy occurrences. Yesterday, the gas cylinder offered up its last gasp and the phone went dead. Early today, the phone rang unexpectedly - a fortuitous wrong number which signaled that the phone was now working. I promptly dialed for the gas and, wonder of wonders, a few hours later the gas man was on our doorstep with the refill. It normally takes two to three days for this to happen and that too after a couple of reminders.

Our drinking water is supplied at the doorstep in jumbo jars. It is supposed to arrive any time on the Monday but requires several reminders before it does, sometimes turning up on the Tuesday – a 24 hour delay. Today, the delivery man turned up bright and early with the 25 litre jar and smilingly fitted it for me. For once, no nail-biting delay.

Then, my friendly neighbour called the mango vendor to her door and bargained for the purchase. She won the price she wanted but found that she would need to take more than she could consume. I was glad to take the dozen that she didn’t want and I now have a week’s supply of my favourite fruit at what, in today’s terms, is a throwaway price.

A call from a faraway niece to say, ‘just thinking of you’, onions that did not get burnt, a new crochet pattern that moved forward smoothly without unraveling required - yes, the day has indeed been sprinkled with small miracles.

Well, this piece has perforce to be brief as there is a grindstone waiting for my nose. But it is a pleasant grindstone and so the day should end as well as it has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment